Sunday 21 July 2013

June Book Reviews

I can't believe it's nearly the end of July & I still haven't got around to doing June's book reviews!!

It's been a busy month for me, things are getting back to normal...... working, meeting friends etc.

So without further a do.....


It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people’s home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The Mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not… Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan’s earlier life in which – remarkably – he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century. Already a huge bestseller across Europe, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared is a fun and feel-good book for all ages.

I'm sorry to say this was the only book I read in June!!!
It was another book that was recommended to me but I'm not sure I enjoyed it.
I found it really slow & often boring in parts...... it seemed to go on forever!
I liked the idea & it was very clever how it linked to history but it just wasn't for me. It has really good reviews so I'm sure it's just me...... have you read it?
The best bit...... it was only 20p from Amazon when I brought it!!!
It was well worth that
6/10

I'm pleased to say I'm doing much better, I've read 3 books so far this month.
But I'm currently 9 books behind my target!

Back soon to give you an update on my new job...... I love it!!!
You can follow our progress on Facebook


1 comment:

  1. Well Josie-Marie, you warned me but I was still surprised: ONE book only?
    I cannot say this title was a hit with me however ex-RAF hubby was interested enough we'll check it out!
    Just finished 'War Brides'! (THanks!!)

    ReplyDelete