Wednesday 27 February 2013

Books, books and more books!!

I'm back...... it's been nearly a week since my last post.
Where does the time go?

I've been working since last Friday which also included a lovely 13 hour stock take day!

As it's nearly the end of February I thought I better do my book round up.

I did really well in February..... 3 books done!

First up...



In 1939, as evacuation gets underway and Britain waits for the Luftwaffe to arrive, the lives of four very different women are about to collide in the sleepy little village of Crowmarsh Priors. Evangeline Fontaine has eloped from New Orleans with dashing naval captain Richard Fairfax. A Sussex village is about as far away from home as she can possibly imagine, away from memories of her first, passionate love. Alice Osbourne, living with her impossible mother, is resigned to life as the parish spinster since being jilted by her childhood sweetheart Richard. But the war will bring her friendships and passion she could never have foreseen. Tanni Joseph has fled from Vienna with her new husband, leaving her sisters to follow on the kindertransport. She arrives in Crowmarsh Priors with her newborn son, not knowing if her family are alive or if she will ever see them again... Frances Falconleigh is to see out the war with her godmother, Lady Marchmont, at Glebe House; her high spirits lead her into the ultimate danger to help her friend Tanni and are to turn her into a woman, almost overnight... Together these four women will face hardship, passion and danger. They form a bond that lasts for the rest of their lives and sees them through their darkest hours.

I read a review on someones blog..... I thought it was LandGirl 1980 but I could be wrong again!
It started very slow & to be honest I wasn't enjoying it. 
But then I was hooked..... I loved it!
 The characters were brilliant & I warmed to all the women, even the one that I thought I would dislike!
An excellent story of brave women in war time.

10/10



Three children whirl back in time through an enchanted potter’s wheel into the reality of evacuation in 1940s Britain . . . Whirl of the Wheel pulls feisty Connie, her brother Charlie-Mouse, and school pest Malcolm into dangers on the homefront and towards a military operations secret that will save their home. The children hit trouble when Malcolm fails to return to the present day. This fast-moving adventure will keep you guessing . . .

This was an odd book!
It's for children but set in WW2 I thought I would give it ago. It was free on Kindle so I had nothing to lose.
I read it very fast, it was ok... not the best book I've ever read but it was free & only took 2 days!
The ending was very odd & reading the reviews on Amazon there was suppose to be a part 2 which has never arrived.

4/10



One boy, one boat, one tiger ...After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary and best-loved works of fiction in recent years.


I really don't need to go in to much detail about this book do I?
I read it when it first came out & fell in love with Richard Parker, it stuck in my mind as one of the best books I've ever read..... I know it's not everyones cup of tea.
I brought it for 20p Kindle....... it'll be rude not to?
I nearly gave up this time...... had I really wiped the animals killing each other out of mind? I was so upset, last Friday I cried so much in my break that even a customer asked if I was ok!
Once again Richard Parker won me over :)
I haven't seen the film yet but plan on watching it on DVD
An excellent book.

10/10

I'm loving my Kindle app......I've only just started using it as I never thought I would be a fan but it's great!
All the books above are Kindle books..... so much cheaper then real books, easier to read during breaks, you don't have to carry a heavy book to work & the best part...... no more dust trap books in my house!

Don't get me wrong I do love books but hate parting with them so I have loads!

I'm converted..... ebooks are the future! 




3 comments:

  1. Great recommends, thanks Joe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly like the sound of the War Brides. I too am a kindle convert, though it hasn't entirely stopped my growing collection of 'real' books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all those books sound great - and you are doing really well with the challenge. I keep meaning to post about the books I've been reading but haven't got round to it.

    ReplyDelete